Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I'd semi-sworn to myself that I would NOT write any cynical, snide things about 14th feb., even if the greeting card/stuffed-toy/entertainment bandwagon ran over me in the street, guffawing all the way to the bank.

A friend literally delegated the chore to me, saying she'd thought about maaroing caustic ones but felt my attempt wld be more effective. May have been too, coz notwithstanding the fact that I've never yet spent a single valentine gazing deeply in any1's eyes or held hands in the moonlite and so forth, I'm good at sneering. Like innumerable other such days, y'day evening I was sitting in a parked car, guzzling booze with a friend. Only, this time, he was a Smug Married, and I was , sadly, still me. When he suggested I disappear b4 his wife showed up at their pre-arranged rezendvous, I staggered away scoring a parting shot- valentine ain't for newlyweds- they're getting theirs regularly anyways. Its the poor suckers who're still got their hopes- and body appendages- high; who need to go thru the motions.

Acidaj vinberos? (that's Esperanto for sour grapes.....thanx Giri)

Possible but not probable.

Coz seriously, something's majorly gone awry when the proof of undying love is sposed to be manifested ONLY by conspicious consumption- with ceremonies and rites imported from the other end of the world-- and the mindless herds, sure enough, fall for it with nary a blink.

The number of cards a girl found in her desk on returning from morning assembly on V. Day was already a status symbol in my schooldays, viz. 16 yrs back- I wonder how utterly malicious and vicious the Ronnie lodges of all those high-end schools must be now.......and exactly how low the Big Ethels of the world must be made to feel.

Meantime, self-appointed cultural guardians must've been waiting for the big day with keen anticipation and hands itching to surreptitiously grope and fondle all the doity gals out with their boyfriends, even as they yell about degrading Indian culture.

Yeah right. Our country's population's crossed the billion mark coz we've been busy watching mickey mouse cartoons all this while.

In any case, I haven't ever done the "done" thing on 14th feb. the only significance it has for me is it being my sister's wedding anniversary. And last year, I was out at Ruby Tuesday's convincing a lady to try booze for the 1st time. And alas, didn't take advantage of her inebriation either. More the bleddy fool, me!

The same friend who was goading me to attack V-day, however, wrote that she welcomes anything that causes the general happiness content in the world to go up, even if its for a few hrs. maybe that's the correct way to look at it. Love, they say, is the father of child of illusion and the daddy of disillusion. let em enjoy the trip while the illusion lasts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

....and Happy V-day to you, doc!! :P

Usha said...

abhilash, young man, read your earlier post and the reference to Maya. After all when it is all Maya, why grudge this mindless indulgence - I guess everyone gets something out of it and people are happy.
Better way to occupy oneself than going on a protest marches killing a few people, what say?
For those of us who are mere spectators to the show, at leats the first provides entertainment.
Wishing you someone whose eyes you can gaze into next Feb14th!

Anonymous said...

Junior, c'mon, betcha u DID it this V-day. haven't u? hence the smug smirk.

Ush, yup, thanx very much for the wishing me sm1 to gaze into. Gaze, hell, I'll beg like a dog....just so long as she puts out when the carnival is over. :))

Anonymous said...

LOST IN TRANSLATION!!!ARE U??? DONT WORRY.. WHO CARES IF WE HAVE NONE TO ENJOY V-DAY!!

Anonymous said...

Y'all must've seen the corny poster proclaiming "I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes; till I saw a man who had no feet."

The Lonely Hearts Club Membership (which I hereby announce as operational and myself as sole member)motto is kinda similar :

"I felt sorry for myself coz I had no girl on V-day...till I saw a guy who had no hands."

Anonymous said...

Hey mule - muster signing your blog with my two bit plagiarised quote for the occasion..
"On Valentine's Day, millions of men give millions of women flowers,cards and candy as a heartfelt expression of the emotion that also motivates men to observe anniversaries and birthdays: fear."

PS:People actually gaze into each other's eyes??? Where was I when this chapter was being explained? Or more importantly where was yr best pal??!
Hey stay like this and continue to write like this..

Anonymous said...

Yes'm, Vee. Re the chapter on eye-gazing, u're lucky all u're getting is the absence of suchlike displays of affexn. My best pal, the bastard, sent me on a date with the then-sizzling -hottie-on-the-scene, with 10 bux he generously thrust in my pocket and goaded me on to "just go ahead and do it, man!" a borrowed bike.

Duly ordered 2 coffees in Coffee House, explaing to the startled gal that she didn't have any other option, wat with my life savings amounting to 10 bux...and after chatting her up for 10 extremely painful mnts, dropped her back at the Girls' hostel.

They were waiting to hear the details eagerly and I dispensed much mirth to these "frnds, philosophers n guides" that evening- at my expense.

Incidentally, I later heard the gesture which won her over by the eventual winner among her batchmate-suitors (I was 2 yrs. senior), was the guy's leaving a 200-buck tip and ensuring she saw, registered and filed away the fact. Got the news abt her bng floored by this magnamity much later from the grapevine. Ah well....

So count yself lucky u're getting off lightly. I'm still cringing 15 yrs after the incident when recall what I was conned into.